Digital declutter and dopamine detox
Escaping the Dopaminferno!
By Matt Gwyther and Neal Taylor
This is an eBook about technology and dopamine. It is also about addiction and meaning.
It’s about how our behaviour is influenced by dopamine; it’s about how our dopamine levels are influenced by technology; and it’s about what we can do about it with the ultimate aim of a leading a life aligned with our own purpose, a life undistracted by the dopamine inducing technologies that surround our daily lives.
There’s an increasing amount of information available about this topic. But where to begin? A lot of the existing material overlooks the psychological and spiritual side of this endeavour. So we have decided to make this our starting point. We have distilled and synthesized everything that we have learned so far here. But there is more to learn. Come and join us on this journey.
You can read it here online or purchase a downloadable copy.
Ebook now available!
Part I – LET’S BEGIN
- Our intentions with this book
- Is there such a thing as a Dopamine Detox?
- Our story and the prompt
Part II – DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE
- Distraction – a natural distraction
- Distraction from a reality that cannot compete
- The insidious re-wiring of the brain by tech companies
- The effects of dopamine. Why do we want more?
- Digital Escapism – What are we running away from?
- An Underlying Anxiety – confronting a constant dis-ease
- Addiction and Dopamine
Part III – TAKE CONTROL
- How bad is it? What can we do? Interventions based on usage
- Now what? Forming a new Baseline
- Why a detox and declutter?
- 7 Dopamine Detox Principles
- Our experiments so far
- Sticking to principles
- A spiritual approach to abstention, fasting & detoxing
- Relapse and transformation
- Intention and intentionality
- Bonus: Technology, anxiety, bullshit jobs and meaning
Part IV – NOW YOU
- Now you!
- What to Expect in the Dopamine Detox Month
- About us
- Further links and references
- Read about the Book Launch